Boomstar is a return to the raw power and purity of non-programmable discrete analog, where STUDIO ELECTRONICS started in 1985 with the Midimoog. Refaced, and revoiced for 2018, the Boomstar MKII is likely the ultimate desktop analog synthesizer for those who remember, and desire still, analog synth sounds that changed the music, and for sound seekers who have yet to discover that magic in their time. The Studio Electronics Boomstar SE80 MKII features the sounds of the legendary, creamy, dreamy, multi-mode Yamaha CS-80.
The Boomstar’s alchemy of combinable waveform oscillations—with sub, OSC1-OSC2 sync—filter and oscillator xmod, ring mod, 5 revered filter types, extensive modulation routing made easy via its 18+ toggle switches, and a flexible software LFO, make sound and music design a daring delight. Hardware envelopes with invert, loop, drone and master mode deliver that flexible, funky snap and shift.
The quick-turn shaft pots along the bottom for the hardware ring mod, noise, feedback: now diode-based for more complex and interesting harmonic distortion, and VCO Levels make vital sonic changes intimate, immediate, and indispensable; the adjacent overdrive switch adds beefy boost, warmth, and edge. 29+ pots insure a fluid, intuitive groove over wide-ranging sweeps, and subtle tone variations: whip them suddenly and rhythmically into shape, or feather in the changes.
New In MKII:
- Refaced for clarity of function, signal flow and an overall visual/tactile assist
- Revoiced for purity of tone—more headroom into amplifier; browning-out is delayed
- Diode-based feedback circuit for greater dynamic range and harmonic distortion content
- Exotic and rugged hand-picked and handcrafted lumber/microlumber sides: Bocote, Marblewood, Pau Ferro, and Rosewood
- Lined, fluted knobs and lined quick-turn pot shafts top and bottom for more precise programming and patch recall
- Metal-shafted pots installed throughout, apart from the envelopes, where the custom taper plastic-shafted pots are strengthened with an added bushing